Hi, my name is Liana Lehman. Thanks for visiting my personal photo news blog that we fondly refer to as 'liana's bananas' thanks to my childhood nickname and tendency to post about crazy, fun happenings.

I'm extremely blessed to be doing what God has called me to do - helping others achieve the impossible and experience the beauty about them always!

I hope to share my adventures through this blog -- including my more recent 101 in 1001 challenge!

liana_lehman

This is a place for me to post all the latest happenings in my world - whether it be recent images from destination weddings and lifestyle portrait shoots, something silly that's going on, and even some personal stuff.

If you're an entrepreneur or professional photographer, the BananasEDU blog is full of biz topics. Check out the links above and below for access to all our sites.

It puts a smile on my face to hear your thoughts so comment away and leave your links!

WeddingPhotographyLifestylePortraitsArt4SalelianaTV
photographer

Friday, February 22, 2008

My 2008 Resolution Unveiled

Previously posted HERE:

Okay, okay... in all seriousness, I'm here to tell you the REAL reason why I've been MIA in 2008. I've got something in my life for the FIRST TIME since I've been an adult. Actually, I don't remember a time I had this since before I was in JR High School!! It's something very foreign to me and has been a gradual change for 2008. It's actually my MAIN 2008 NEW YEARS RESOLUTION. (No, I haven't posted it yet!) There is an surprisingly small percentage of working Americans who have this.

Can you guess what it is??



Photobucket

Yes - MARGIN is the answer!!

I came to realize recently that my body has slowly been breaking down... trying to tell me something... fighting against me. Trying to tell me that I need to SLOW DOWN and JUST SAY NO more often. Perhaps it's the long list of things I've kept busy with lately ... or the fact that I can't remember the last time I've been 100% healthy ... or when I realized that this week and next is the first time I've been home for two-three weeks at a time in a year!! WOW.

While my resolutions could cover many areas.... loose weight, eat right, get more sleep, stay home more, read more, dance more, give more, save and invest more, spend more time with friends and family, etc, etc.... they're all simply ailments of one root cause: Not Having Margin in my life.

I honestly don't remember the last time (if ever in my life) that I didn't have stuff all scheduled out. Between school, dance 6 days a week when I was little, working since I was a teenager, then all the extracurriculars and volunteer work I always take on..... time to Just Be Available has been slim to none.

Articles like this
back my theory that it's an increasingly prevalent problem in the culture we live in, and not just me. For example: "When surveyed, Americans report that they have only sixteen and a half hours of leisure a week, after the obligations of job and household are taken care of. Working hours are already longer than they were forty years ago. If present trends continue, by the end of the century Americans will be spending as much time at their jobs as they did back in the nineteen twenties."

Andy Stanley puts it plainly and spells it out well in the "Take it to the Limit" 6-part series which you can listen to here. You can also download the free podcast on iTunes I think.

January ended up being a LOT busier than anticipated but I've finally found some Margin this past week and am looking forward to some EXTREME MARGIN in April. In fact, I've purposefully NOT scheduled ANYTHING for April yet. Even part of March. SO from MARCH 20 through MAY 1 I'm going to do the impossible and just See What Happens.

Opps...I do have to amend my previous statement. I have a single afternoon charity commitment that I made back last fall. But that is it. I'm tempted to schedule a Boot Camp and a bunch of photo shoots for then... but I think I may just play it by ear... let each day hold a new surprise. Slow down. Practice saying "no" more often.

What would YOU do with SIX WEEKS of UNSCHEDULED time??


EDIT: I almost forgot about the contest! I've already got days off, a new house, an IRA, and a savings account. Mike is the only one that said "Margin" and was first so I guess it goes to him since not even he knew my resolution. Since he already has my copy of new favorite book (The Traveler's Gift)... guess he gets the new Dave Ramsey one instead!! Muaaahhhhaaa! Congrats! Fitting into size 2 jeans would be SUPER cool too.. or a horse... hmmmm.... possible '09 resolutions?!? Contests are fun... I think I'll do more!!

4 comments:

Michelle commented: wow liana! that's pretty powerful stuff, but it makes so sense having a margin. Thanks for sharing as always...but i don't think mike should've be allowed to play LOL!! but that's just me (hee hee) February 24, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Liana commented: Yeah.... no more playing for Mikey! He really had no idea - it was just a guess. LOL. February 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Unknown commented: Very well put. I think everyone can learn from this and have more a margin in their busy, busy lives. I know I can!

Thanks for the inspiration!
February 26, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Robin Dini Photography commented: you just hit the nail on the head. i'm totally the same way. i don't know what to do with myself when i'm not "working". i had to compile a list of things i enjoy doing just to give myself options because in the heat of a "boredom" moment, I"ll just hope on the computer and work some more. thanks for sharing Liana. March 1, 2008 at 9:39 AM
 

Lianas Bananas - Archive

Be Social with Liana's Bananas!

Blog template customizaton by Mike @ www.oppositeoffear.com