Hi, my name is Liana Lehman. Thanks for visiting my personal photo news blog that we fondly refer to as 'liana's bananas' thanks to my childhood nickname and tendency to post about crazy, fun happenings.

I'm extremely blessed to be doing what God has called me to do - helping others achieve the impossible and experience the beauty about them always!

I hope to share my adventures through this blog -- including my more recent 101 in 1001 challenge!

liana_lehman

This is a place for me to post all the latest happenings in my world - whether it be recent images from destination weddings and lifestyle portrait shoots, something silly that's going on, and even some personal stuff.

If you're an entrepreneur or professional photographer, the BananasEDU blog is full of biz topics. Check out the links above and below for access to all our sites.

It puts a smile on my face to hear your thoughts so comment away and leave your links!

WeddingPhotographyLifestylePortraitsArt4SalelianaTV
photographer

Sunday, September 28, 2008

My new FAVORITE lens: 50mm 1.2L USM

After going through a handful of Canon 50mm 1.4 lenses (err, about 1 per year since '06) I finally got my hands on the Canon 50mm 1.2L USM as my latest 1.4 broke again. So it's roughly $1,000 more but a good investment I must say when the others wear down so quickly and have to be re-purchased each year.

What I like:
- This feels like a sturdy, well-made lens. The 1.4 felt like a cheap toy
- The color is even more amazing. This lens with the 5D is unreal!
- I can focus in MUCH easier. It feels like butter compared to the 1.4!
- Did I mention the awesome low-light capabilities and depth of field??

Of course, when my shipment arrived, the only subjects in the house were Charlie and Grace so I called them out on the back deck right away for a quick test-shoot. One thing is, when you're shooting at 1.2 you can forget about both eyes being in focus unless they are on the same exact plane and you're back further. This one is straight out of camera, except for resizing and sharpening for blog.


Photobucket

Shot: Manual exposure, no flash, ISO 250, Auto WB, 1/640 second at f1.2.



I think I used this lens for 80% of the wedding I photographed yesterday it's so unreal! Pics of that coming shortly...

4 comments:

Michelle commented: oh, so sweet liana! 1.2 is the bomb!! September 29, 2008 at 5:15 AM
Chenzo Photo LLC commented: Sweet! Just curious how the f/1.2 'broke' on you several times? Did the focus ring fail or something? I'm upgrading my camera body and Mac right now, and the 50mm is my favorite lens, so just wondering if I should invest in the f/1.2 sooner rather than later. Thanks, Liana (and Charlie)! September 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM
Liana commented: Hey Chris... the 1.4 got so much use the focus would just stop working. Not 100% sure why this is but I do handle them a lot. All of my other lenses stand the test of time though while this one just never lasted very long. September 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM
Unknown commented: Gracie looks awesome! Is she lounging in the flower pot here???? September 30, 2008 at 11:36 AM
 

Lianas Bananas - Archive

Be Social with Liana's Bananas!

Blog template customizaton by Mike @ www.oppositeoffear.com